Thursday, October 11, 2012

Where To Get Resources - Money

When I began teaching over 30 years ago there was always enough money to buy whatever I needed for my classroom. We had class and school budgets that teachers could use to buy supplies/curriculum that was not mandated, this is how purchased sets of class novels. I also save points from book orders to buy novels and had my students help select what we would read following specific criteria. Santa Cruz County has Schools Plus Grants that underwrites projects that enhance learning aimed to improve student achievement, and augment the students' educational experience. These grants are usually funded up to $1000.00. Year after year, I received grants and always thought the foundation would say they had given me enough money but... I think I did a few important things that helped. One, I always promoted the grant program by having students acknowledge it in their projects/presentations. I also had students write how the grants helped them with their projects - good PR for all. And of course I send them a copy of a class book and thank you notes. Another thing I did was I approached a local businessman and he gave me classroom donations yearly, between $2,000-$6,000.  Having students write thank you letters is very important to receive on-going support. I know teachers have other creative ideas and would love to hear from you!

Happy reading:)
Debra

No comments:

Post a Comment